Table of Contents
Summer is a season of fun, sun, outdoor activities, and fresh fruits that are delicious and great for your skin and whole body. Summer is also a season that can cause skin dehydration and inflammation, leading to various skin problems. Dehydrated skin can feel tight, itchy, and uncomfortable, and it can also look dull and lackluster.
According to Ayurveda, a traditional Indian system of medicine, the summer season is associated with the Pitta dosha, which is characterized by heat and inflammation. Therefore, consuming foods with cooling properties is recommended to balance the Pitta dosha and keep the skin healthy and glowing during the summer.
Certain fruits are rich in nutrients that will boost skin glow in the summer and keep it fresh, calm, and hydrated.
Here are the top 5 fruits for skin glow in the summer:
- Watermelon: The perfect summer cooling fruit with a high water content, which helps keep the whole body and skin hydrated and cool. Among many vitamins, watermelon contains lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that gives this fruit and tomatoes red color and can protect the skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays.
- Pineapple: Pineapples are rich in vitamin C, which promotes collagen production and wound healing by supporting the production of new skin cells. Pineapples also contain bromelain, an enzyme with anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antibacterial properties.
- Mango: Mango is a nutritious fruit loaded with healthy nutrients that can help support your skin and overall health. They are loaded with vitamins A and C, which help to heal acne and prevent premature aging. The naturally occurring antioxidants in mango have the potential to reduce signs of sun damage by reducing the oxidation of your skin cells.
- Berries: Berries contain potent compounds called polyphenols. Their job is to help the plants withstand environmental stressors in the wild, and they can do this for your skin, too. Polyphenols in berries not only help the skin fight signs of premature aging but also visibly help repair environmental damage and revive the skin’s natural defenses to look fresher and healthier.
- Citrus Fruits: Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons and grapefruits are rich in vitamin C, essential for collagen production so that the skin can stay plump and supple. They are also a good source of antioxidants that help to protect your skin from damage by neutralizing the free radical damage from UV rays.
Incorporating these fruits into your diet can help keep your skin healthy and glowing during summer. Fruits have a high water content that helps the body replenish its hydration levels and keep your whole body cool and hydrated. Staying hydrated is crucial for maintaining healthy and glowing skin, especially during the hot summer when the body loses more water through sweating.
When the body is cool and hydrated naturally, this will further calm inflammation triggered by summer heat. Skin sensitivity, rosacea, and sunburn, usually activated with summer heat, will be kept at bay and calm when the body’s hydration levels are balanced.
In addition, fruits are rich in nutrients, antioxidants, and enzymes that can help to protect your skin from damage, exfoliate the skin, and promote cell renewal, giving you a brighter and more even complexion. So, enjoy the summer season and indulge in these delicious and nutritious fruits for skin glow.
Healthline article reviews the benefits of eating pineapple for your skin, as well as the benefits and downsides of applying pineapple directly to your skin. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/pineapple-benefits-for-skin
Healthline article reviews specific ways mango can benefit your skin health. https://www.healthline.com/health/mango-for-skin
Scientific study on lycopene uv protective qualities https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4664803/